Croutons are so easy to make, and so handy to have in the house. It's not just a salad and soup topper to me, it's also a very flavorful quick snack. And the best part is - I can season it with any herb or spice that I am in the mood for!
What you need:
- 5 slices of sliced bread (any kind)
- half a head of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Put in a large bowl and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and pour on top of the bread. Toss to coat the bread evenly. Place on a baking pan and bake (middle rack) for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown. Make sure that you turn it over halfway for even baking.
Remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy!
Tips, Tricks and Tweaks:
1. Use the convection setting if you have it. But if you do so, position your top rack one notch higher and place the baking pan there. You don't have to turn the croutons over halfway when using the convection setting.
2. Oregano has a very strong taste. You can reduce the amount and add more of the other spice that you like.
3. Add some Parmesan cheese for a hint of saltiness (and cheesiness!).