Labels:

The Lady's Cheesy Mac

Fresh off the oven!

Hubby requested for Macaroni and Cheese one day, but he had something specific in mind - he said he wanted "very cheesy" mac and cheese. I thought I'd copy Paula Deen's recipe (the queen of Southern cooking, who else?) and see if its any good.


Well, the recipe was great - it was cheesy, creamy, and had a wonderful flavor. I used whole grain pasta so it wasn't as smooth (hey, I was trying to be healthy!) but I kinda' liked the extra chewiness that whole grain pasta offers - I feel like I am burning calories as I eat them! Haha.



Truth be told, this dish did not taste like the mac and cheese we had at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant). Not in a bad way though. Most of the food there were greasy - extremely delicious, but very greasy and buttery (I guess that's why it was delicious). They probably use a different recipe (trade secret?) for mac and cheese. But we loved it as well!


What you need: 

4 cups whole grain pasta shells
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 cup milk


What to do: 

Preheat oven to 350°F. 

Cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain, then place in a large bowl. While still hot, add the grated cheddar cheese. Cover to keep warm and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the beaten eggs, sour cream, butter, salt and milk. Mix well, then add to the macaroni mixture.

Pour into a 9X13 glass baking dish, and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and top with additional grated cheddar cheese.


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. Use regular elbow macaroni for a smoother texture.
2. Add cooked chopped bacon before baking - more grease, less healthy, but I bet it is super delicious!
3. Try using evaporated milk instead of regular milk. It would add a hint of sweetness to the dish.
4. Always buy a block of cheese and then grate it yourself - it might mean more work, but I promise, you can taste the difference!
5. Do not overcook it - it will turn dry and the egg will curdle! Keep an eye on your pasta and make sure it is cooked to your desired consistency.

4 comments:

peachkins said...

ayoko ng whole grain pasta..hehehe..but it looks so creamy!!

anney said...

hehehe! yan din sana i ko comment ko ayaw ko ng whole grain. lol! Siguro di pa lang kami sanay kumain ng whole grain pasta.

J said...

Nung una din, di ko type... sanayan lang siguro. Natutunan ko na din siya mahalin LoL.

Rome Diwa said...

Hi J! thanks for visiting my food blog. Puro paid posts noh boring. ahahaha, I lurve this recipe cuz I lurv cheese!!!

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters