Labels:

Cola-Marinated Beef


A trip to a local breakfast diner inspired me to make this dish. I ordered their Sirloin Tips and Eggs and it was delicious! There was a certain sweet undertone that I couldn't quite figure out so I brazenly asked the server what the ingredients of the dish were (yeah, I was THAT interested). The (not so) secret ingredient was cola - he said that the meat was marinated in it. Of course, the little light bulb in my head went off, and as we headed out of the diner, I was already thinking of how I could re-create that dish. 

I scoured the web for many recipes (I even looked at the Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook) and tried to imagine a hundred different combinations. I ended up with this, and though it didn't taste exactly like what I had in the diner, hubby and I still enjoyed it nonetheless. I have to say, though, it was better as a left-over as the flavors had more time to infuse and really make this dish so yummy.


What you need:

1/2 pound top round steak
8 cloves of garlic (crushed), divided
1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 can soda (I used Coca-Cola)


What to do:

Slice beef in thin strips. In a bowl, combine beef strips, soda, and 3 cloves of garlic. Seal tightly with plastic wrap and marinate overnight in the fridge.

Place a wok or pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Saute the remaining garlic and onion for about a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Put in the marinated beef and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Season with oyster sauce and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until beef is tender. Serve with fried eggs.


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. It does not have to be top round steak - use any cut if beef! Just make sure it is tender.
2. If the taste of soda is too strong for you, add about 1/4 cup beef broth or water.
3. Serve with noodles! Yummy!
4. No need to save the marinade - if done correctly, the beef will be juicy when you cook it!



3 comments:

peachkins said...

there's a coke diner here that serves dishes with cola flavor...parang may ganyan din sila. I want to try din some other day...

Rome Diwa said...

Huaw Interesting. Galing!

anney said...

Kakaiba at sa coke sya binabad. naku balak namin ni sis kumain dun sa sinasabi nya.

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters