A friend of mine shared with us a recipe of Spinach and Strawberry Salad. It was delicious, and the hit at lunch. The tartness of the strawberries blended well with the sweetness of the dressing, add to it the crunch and flavor that the almonds brought.
This is my version of the salad, but instead of using just spinach, I used my favorite salad blends, then tweaked it according to our preference.
What you need:
- 10 ounce package salad blends, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons strawberry jelly
What to do:
Toss together the salad blends, almonds and strawberries in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
In a small glass dish, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, oil, poppy seeds, and strawberry jelly. Whisk well, or shake if using a jar with a tight lid.
Dress the salad right before serving.
Tips, Tricks and Tweaks:
1. I used 2 teaspoons of jelly because the strawberries were a bit tart. If you find your strawberries sweet, feel free to reduce the amount of jelly to 1 teaspoon.
2. If using spinach instead of salad blends, add 1/2 medium cucumber, diced.
3. You can use white wine vinegar instead of red.