Being a member of the Godiva Chocolate Rewards Club has a lot of perks - one free chocolate every month, free shipping on orders, free gift when you spend $10 or more... the list goes on and on. I could probably think of a hundred excuses to go to their store (my favorite is - "I have to get my free chocolate!"). The downside - you get tempted to buy more chocolates when you see the scrumptious displays in their shop *sigh*.
I finally gave in and bought the Dark Chocolate Raspberry bar. I thought of it as a "healthier option" because it is dark chocolate, and has raspberries. It's really a win-win situation - I satisfy my cravings for chocolate and I get the health benefits of the dark chocolate and raspberries. ;-)
What I liked:
- It is the perfect balance of bitter and sweet.
- The chocolate is very smooth.
- The raspberries provide a bit of tang and sweetness that goes well with the bitter dark chocolate.
- The texture of the raspberries is quite unique - it is similar to the "crunch" in a Nestle Crunch bar.
- 2 big blocks (portions) of the bar are just 100 calories. Hurray!
What I didn't like:
- Like real raspberries, the crunch gets stuck in your teeth.
- Quite pricey. $4 for a 3.5oz bar. Although you probably won't eat it in one sitting.
The Godiva Dark Chocolate Raspberry is really very good. It is the perfect bar to finish dinner off, paired with an espresso or dark roast coffee (ah, chocolate and coffee - my two favorite things). The 50% cacao content is perfect for this variety, as the fruit lends its sweetness to balance the bitter dark chocolate. Would I recommend this to a friend? Absolutely. Would I buy this product again? Yes. But maybe I'll wait for it to go on sale. ;-)
P.S. Hubby ate most of it. I couldn't fend him off.