I love having salads on hot days, because (1) it refreshes and (2) it fills the tummy. I made this chicken macaroni salad using penne pasta, and added pineapple chunks for a bit of tanginess. So good. Hubby thought this was an unusual combination, but now enjoys it thoroughly.
What you need:
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 3/4 pound chicken breast
- 3/4 cup (or more) mayonnaise (I used Kraft Mayonnaise with Lime Juice)
- 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 stalks green onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
Boil the chicken in water for about 10 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F. Remove from liquid (broth) and let cool. Shred the chicken or chop into small pieces.
Cook the penne according to package instructions, but use the chicken broth to boil the pasta for more flavor.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix gently to avoid smashing the hard boiled eggs. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks and Tweaks:
1. Feel free to use regular mayonnaise if you can't find mayo with lime.
2. Substitute green onion with sweet onion.
3. Add or subtract ingredients according to your taste.
4. Try it with shrimp instead of chicken.