I couldn't resist this chocolate for a number of reasons: (1) It is from Bahlsen, which from our experience makes great (but underrated) products, and (2) It is Swiss chocolate. Who doesn't love Swiss chocolates? So I tried one, and I wasn't disappointed.
Bahlsen Truffets are crunchy meringue biscuits filled with nougat creme and coated with chocolate. Sounds good, eh? Wait till you taste it!
What I liked:
- The meringue is so light. It reminded me of Nestle's Aero chocolate.
- The nougat creme is perfect - not too sweet and not too bland.
- Chocolate covered. Need I say more? :-)
- Only 160 calories per serving (4 pieces). Awesome. 40 calories a pop is NOT bad at all.
- Genuine Swiss chocolate. Bahlsen is one of Europe's leading biscuit manufacturers.
|Aero Chocolate. Photo Credit: www.Nestle.com|
- Only 12 pieces in a box.
- 5% saturated fat. Boo!!! Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. That is why you always have to have portion control.
- Does not come in a resealable (plastic) package.
- Pricey - $2.70 for a box. It is cheaper to buy them online (although there is the risk of melting before the chocolate ever gets to you).
The Bahlsen Truffet is very good, I like the rich taste and the contrasting texture. However, it is not a chocolate for kids, rather it is a good after-dinner treat enjoyed with coffee or tea. The reason for this is because it is not overly sweet, and as such, kids might not like it. Imagine having tea in England, but instead of crumpets, you are having truffets. Haha. It would also be good with ice cream, as it would balance out the sweetness. Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes. Highly recommended. Would I buy it again? Absolutely.