I made this "luxurious" breakfast one lazy Saturday morning (the only day I could actually eat breakfast without rushing!). It was delicious, and thanks to the oatmeal, it kept me full till lunchtime!
This recipe is from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine (October 2010 issue), tweaked to suit my taste. ;-)
What you need:
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
What to do:
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add oats and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir, reduce heat and simmer until tender (about 5 minutes).
Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick pan over medium. Coat lightly with butter, then add the egg and cook according to your desired doneness (in my case, I cooked mine until the white is set but the yolk is still runny). Season the egg with salt and pepper.
Serve oatmeal in a bowl topped with cheese, egg, green onions and crumbled bacon. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks and Tweaks:
1. Try using grits instead of oatmeal.
2. Add salt to the oatmeal if you don't want a hint of sweetness.
3. Don't like eggs? Skip it!